Petrolo is situated on the eastern flank of the Chianti hills, a historical area delimited in 1716 by the Grand Duke of Tuscany, Cosimo III de’ Medici, as one of Tuscany’s top four wine producing zones. The Val d‘Arno was recognised as ‘DOC Val d‘Arno di Sopra’ in 2011. The property covers 272 hectares, of which 31 are vineyards, situated between 250 – 450 metres above sea level. The estate has now converted to organic viticulture and includes 19 hectares of organically grown olive groves, the rest of the estate is arable land and woods.
Aromas of blackcurrants and dark cherries are supported by more herbal notes of rosemary, thyme and tea leaves on the nose. Galatrona is dense and full-bodied with robust and chewy tannins. Refreshing acidity keeps the finish long and complex.